Landscape photographer Soumitra Datta explores his love for nature and the emotions attached through abstract images.
- Description: To create abstract landscape images of nature.
- Duration: The series has been shot over the past 15 years and is still an ongoing project.
- Notes: In nature, everything around you can be a prospective subject.
Having spent three decades shooting landscapes, I tend to understand and see beauty in nature beyond the obvious. This series is the result of my encounters with varied colours, the play of light, innumerable designs and creative patterns in nature over the years. These abstract images happened subconsciously over the years, when I was out in the field photographing landscapes. I think of landscapes like an event in progress with a single magical moment waiting to be captured, instead of thinking of them as still places.
Magical Abstracts has been a personal project on landscapes which has helped me explore my creativity. At the same time, it has helped me bring out my inner vision through these abstract images of nature. A series which happened subconsciously over the years, it has helped me use abstracts as a medium of expression for my thoughts and moods over the years.
There is no specific process that I go about when photographing abstracts in nature. When you are driving a vehicle, you know when to change the gears and when to step on the accelerator. Similarly, capturing these abstracts has become second nature to me. Most of my photographs in this series have been shot within an instant of being visualised.
I believe that pure dedication and a love for nature has helped me connect with the natural world and express myself through the medium of photography. I find nature to be like a living being, capable of expressing itself through several moods. These are brought out by the colours and patterns around us which most of us are usually oblivious to.
I usually use a Nikon D700 and a D3 along with the 24-70mm lens. But an abstract series like this can be shot even with a compact camera.
How to Shoot your own Abstracts
- Be Your Own Judge: Abstracts give you the freedom to choose anything and everything as your subject. There are no fixed guidelines on composition or technique.
- Colours, Light and Patterns: While shooting an abstract series, pay attention to these three prime elements and play with them to evoke a range of moods in your pictures.
- Express Yourself: While I chose to make this series on landscapes, you are not limited to the same subject. Choose what makes an impression on you and explore it through the medium of abstracts.
To see more images by Soumitra Datta, visit his website www.soumitradatta.comTags: Abstract Art, october 2012, On Assignment, Soumitra Datta